Research Scientist- Agriculture Victoria
This position will work in the Animal Production Sciences Unit of Agriculture Victoria Research and undertake research activities within the methane mitigation program based at Ellinbank. The appointee will focus on research projects that aim to reduce enteric methane emissions from pasture based dairy systems while maintaining or improving profitability. This is achieved through innovative research and science excellence, supported by technical efficiency, business processes, technology adoption and knowledge management. The appointee will also contribute to other associated dairy research projects and activities.
The incumbent will contribute to designing and implementing research within the program, assist in reporting on the research both internally and to external stakeholders and prepare scientific publications and other written reports. The successful applicant will work as part of a team of researchers and technical support staff and will have expertise in ruminant animal nutrition or ruminant physiology. The incumbent will also contribute to other dairy R&I activities as required.
The successful applicant will work effectively as a member of a team, enjoy flexible working arrangements, and undertake a wide variety of work across the Branch.
- Undertake an active research program in the field of dairy production science, with a focus on methane mitigation in grazing-based systems.
- Plan, implement and deliver research projects that develop scientific solutions and techniques that have significant impact.
- Have impact on the Victorian and national dairy industries and policies affecting the industry through reporting the results of research in scientific journal articles, at science and industry conferences, and where appropriate, in the media.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key funding groups and with collaborating research groups.
- Contribute to the achievement of DJPR objectives and new project development where required.
- Supervise technical staff, participate in teams, work with minimal supervision, and display high levels of initiative while working with colleagues.
- Adopt and apply WH&S policies and procedures to ensure a safe work environment.
Key Selection Criteria
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and operation of ruminant production systems, with knowledge of dairy production systems in Victoria and Australia.
- Demonstrated research experience in the implementation of animal experimentation to measure methane emissions from livestock and the subsequent interpretation of generated information.
- Demonstrated experience of effective participation in research project teams and leadership of research projects and demonstrated experience of working with minimal supervision and displaying high levels of initiative.
- Well-developed communication skills, with proven ability to develop and maintain relationships with peers and key stakeholders, and a track record of publication of scientific work in science journals and at science conferences, highlighting the ability to effectively present results of research to a range of audiences.
- Ability to effectively supervise technical staff and resolve issues that arise, and preferably some experience in postgraduate student supervision.
Refer to the Position Description for more information and how to apply.